Saturday, April 1, 2017

How To Stop Being Miserable


How do I stop being miserable? Besides meds/therapy?

Find the music you used to love. Put that music on and play it all of the time. It could even be songs from when you were a kid, any and all music you love, play it. 

Get some living things in your place. A few green plants, or even a pot of flowers to put in the sun. Something that is alive. If you could get a puppy, that helps, because they will be excited to see you every day. Even a kitten would purr and sit on you. Let sunshine in your windows (and open them for fresh air.) 

Try to go outside and walk somewhere, even a little bit each day. Start calling people if you can (you might need to make a pot of coffee to get the energy to do this) and asking them to meet for lunch or dinner or a walk or whatever. Make little dates to do things, even if you don’t feel like it. If you have a fireplace, build a fire at night. If you are near water, go to the beach/lake/pond/stream and hang out there. If you are near grass, lay in it and read a book.

I know this all sounds ridiculous, but it shakes you up and gets you out of your head. Get a different scent. Whatever you were wearing when you were miserable? Get rid of it, put on something new, a new smell. Fill your fridge with healthy food. Get rid of that same shirt you wore every day. Change your sheets and make your bed. Change all of your profile pictures. Get a car wash. Go to church. Find an old toy you loved as a kid on eBay and put it in your room to remind you of your old self. Get a notepad and write about why you are so miserable; write letters to the people who wronged you and then burn them.

I just want to end it. Why can't I just do it?

I remember wanting to kill myself when I was fifteen. I ended up not doing it. The day after, I thought, “Well, I would have been dead already. This is all just an experiment now.” I started to dress like I truly wanted to (purple hair at the time.) I started to speak my mind to abusive people (even slapped someone across the face who was rude. ) I started to go places where I had always wondered about. I was a little more bold in every way. I kept thinking, “Well, I would’ve been dead….let’s keep going with this. These are all bonus days.” Started to be less shy, date who I wanted to date, be who I wanted to be. Yes, lots of messy mistakes and bad days. 

You are probably supposed to be here. There is a plan for you and you don’t know what it is. You want everything to end, because you have no idea the good things that lay ahead for you.  And now I am someone’s parent, an author of four books and an ton of other things…and I now see why I am supposed to be here. Just wait it out, let this pass, and see what happens. I think you might be suprised.